Top Ad

, , , , , ,

A FAT GIRL'S GUIDE TO SUMMER: WEARING A SLEEVELESS DRESS

Written By Chiamaka

I see myself wear some of the things I do now & I marvel at how far I have come. Was not too long ago when my sister & I were going for a carnival & I wore a pair of shorts & a top but had then put on a jacket & maxi skirt over it. This was the summer of 2014. We had not ended up going for the carnival & I stared at myself in the mirror for the rest of the day. What was so wrong with me? Why could I not dress as I liked? Added to my worries was the fact that I suffered from spots on my arms & legs, which faded since I stopped worrying about & trying to fix them. Last year summer I was going to six flags with my school. I took the plunge & wore shorts.

I had never felt so free in my life. Naturally, I was a bit nervous at first but then I realised so many people had seen me already & there was nothing to be shy about. Since then, I've been showing my thighs, shoulders & breasts. I know a sleeveless dress might not seem very dramatic to many people but for me it would be truly revolutionary. I am wearing one out this summer & will be blogging about it. I have never shown my arms for many years, they are still very much my largest insecurity. Writing this is difficult because I do not want many of you delving into my inner thoughts, but it has to be done because I want to reach out to as many fat women out there. I want my story to be comforting & also encourage them. 

To all my fat sisters, It's summer time, and naturally it will be difficult for you to wear shorts, sleeveless tops or short dresses. It's choking to be in those thick clothes, but you are scared of being ridiculed. I want to encourage you to put on something you normally wouldn't. To be more confident, go out with friends that particular day. The familiar setting will surround you with more energy to keep going. It is important to have good energy around you, so surround yourself with people who are continuously encouraging you. Following plus size model on social media really helped me to be comfortable & confident in my skin. I know that it is very difficult but please try something out of the usual this summer. 

You will be so pleasantly surprised & more happier than you have ever been. It is difficult to take the plunge in new experiences, but it is helpful to take it little by little. A tiny amount of progress counts. Do not be hard on yourself if you fail, the important thing is to try & try again. I want to tell you that you are beautiful, you are here & never let anyone tell you that your body is less. You are worth just as much as anyone else in the world. It's extremely hard to appreciate yourself in a world where you have no representation except when you are the butt of stupid jokes, but we can do it. 

Have a great summer, keep slaying & stepping on those necks everywhere you go! I am counting on you. Please reach out to me if you ever want to talk or need help choosing an outfit you feel would look great on you. Tweet me gorgeous selfies whenever. I'll be looking forward to them. Love you guys, all of you. (Including the pick me's 🙄)

P.S: I apologize if you are not comfortable with the word "fat" yet. I do not mind it anymore, and this is why I use it in description of myself & other beautiful women like me.

Written By Chiamaka

0 comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers. Let us know what you think!

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the comment writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Bella Curves.

Connect with Us on

Facebook: www.facebook.com/BellaCurvesng
Twitter: @Bellacurvesng
Instagram: @Bellacurvesng

For Suggestions, Contributions and Inquiries
Email: bellacurvesblog@gmail.com

Stop HERE and take the SURVEY

Top Ad 728x90